The Berne Public Library first opened its doors to the public on March 14, 1935. The library resided in several locations about the downtown area over the years, moving into the "Auditorium" on Sprunger St. in 1961. After purchasing the building from the city, the library underwent a complete renovation which was completed in 1992. Further renovation completed in 2000 resulted in the Children's Room and Heritage Room in the lower level of the library.
Perhaps the most distinctive features of the Berne Public Library are the Swiss inspired exterior and the "Jungle Room" in the Children's Department which features a 53 by 11 foot mural painted on the walls by many volunteer painters from the community.